Chinese in the past, present and future of Modern Languages in the UK
For the slides from a lecture on the history of learning Chinese in the UK, and how it can help us think about how to teach Chinese now and in future, click here. see here: chinese_in_the_past_present_and_future_of_modern_languages_in_the_uk.pdf, (Lecture presented by Prof. Nicola McLelland at the Confucius Institute annual conference at the University of Nottingham (October 15th, 2016).
... And for a pre-publication version of a journal article in the Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association, airing some of the same questions, see here:
- Posters: History of MFL in the UK
- Chinese in the past, present and future of ML in the UK
- Why Learn German? Answers since 1600
- Video: Interview with John Trim
- The history of the language lab - a graphic (thanks to Pete Smith for directing us to it)
- 100 Years of Language Assistants: 1905-2005 (and beyond...)
- History of German at British Universities 1813-1914 (thanks to Alexander Weber for the link)
- Why MLE history?